Thursday, March 3, 2011

Throw me somethin', Mister!

Em at Mardi Gras (D'Iberville, MS) 2010
One of the many amazing things that I learned about in college was Mardi Gras. My best friend in college was from New Orleans, and we went 'home' every year for the celebration. I'm a sucker for a normal parade, so you might imagine the kind of frenzy I enter into when I attend a parade that throws cheap plastic beads and cups at you. To paraphrase Hank Williams Jr., "If Heaven don't have Mardi Gras, I don't wanna go." I LOVE Mardi Gras! Love!

After college, I continued the tradition of going and introduced my family and other friends to the spectacular-ness of it all. Imagine my delight when I met Heather and discovered that her family is from the gulf coast and they get into Mardi Gras too! So when Emily was born, we decided to keep the tradition of going to Mardi Gras alive, but we moved from New Orleans to Mississippi.  Mississippi's parades are not as grand, but they are just as fun and the nice thing about them is that you don't have to worry about a bunch of drunk people showing off their goodies.  There are lots of kids and families and it's a great way to spend a few days with friends and family you love.  So that's where we'll be for the next few days.  Unfortunately we we will be back home for Fat Tuesday, but I'm looking forward to a little king cake, a po' boy, catching lots of beads and yelling myself silly!

Happy Mardi Gras, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...