Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco De Mayo Frame - Frida Kahlo

Considering I missed Valentine's day and St. Patrick's day, I couldn't let Cinco de Mayo pass by without doing something creative to celebrate it.  What better way than by honoring one of Mexico's most celebrated artists (and one of my favorite), Frida Kahlo.
I picked up the frame at Michael's in February - for a Valentine's idea that I had, if memory serves me correctly. It came unpainted but hooked together with the two wooden pieces and red ribbon.  It sat on the shelf waiting for non-gooky paint (technical term) to be purchased.  I finally got some paint last Monday, and went about painting the wings and red heart.  I let that sit a couple of days and did the black frame and monkey details in 3 sittings - probably 5-15 minutes in each sitting. From there, I just found one of my favorite Frida paintings on the innerwebs and printed off a copy, cut and framed. I took the monkey from her shoulder and put it in the red heart on top.  
It's the first completed painted piece that I've done in awhile, and I'm pretty happy with it, especially since I've decided to bring back our Frida curtains in the kitchen.  More on that soon I hope.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...