Friday, April 1, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins

Last Saturday night, Emily told me that she wanted to make chocolate muffins.  I'm not a mom who can turn down an opportunity for chocolate, much less a muffin so I quickly agreed to her request and we decided to make them for our Sunday morning breakfast.

After she went to bed, I turned to my friend Google, who quickly led me to these little beauties.
I adjusted the recipe a bit, and if I make these again, I might tweak a bit more, but these were great right out of the oven.  Here's my version:

Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins

3/4 cup(s) white all-purpose flour   
2/3 cup(s) sugar   (the original recipe called for a cup)
1/2 cup(s) whole wheat flour (the original called for 1 1/4 cups of all purpose white)
  
3/4 cup(s) quick cooking rolled oats   
1 Tbsp baking powder   
1 tsp table salt   
  2 item(s) egg   
1 cup(s) 2% reduced fat milk   
1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter   
1 tsp vanilla extract   
1/3 cup(s) cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark, but would probably use regular next time)   
2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips   (you use more, obviously)


  1. Stir together flour, sugar, oats, cocoa, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
  2. Beat eggs, milk, melted butter and vanilla in small bowl.
  3. Add milk mixture and chocolate chips (nuts, optional) all at once to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.
  4. Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups.
  5. Bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until done.
  6. Serve warm with Honey Spread (Beat together 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter and 1/3 cup (75 mL) honey until smooth. Makes about 3/4 cup).

As I pulled out all of the ingredients, I realized that we were out of vanilla and sugar, thanks to Felicia's flurry of cake making, so we dashed to Publix in quasi-pajamas and came back and made the muffins together.  Em has become quite the expert stirrer, so much so that I rarely have to go behind her to really get things mixed.  During this last baking effort, she tried to crack eggs by using only her hands - so cute!
We didn't use the honey butter spread, but opted instead for a side of strawberries.  Both Emily and I were pleased with the results!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...