Thursday, April 14, 2011

momma = muse








I've been watching my kid lately.  She's been watching me.  As a mom, you know this.  As a mom, you know that you are setting an example for your kids.  You give them verbal and non-verbal cues on how to act, what to say, how to say it, what to eat and what to do.  They mimic some of your worst habits - swearing as they drop a toy, losing their patience over something that won't work quite right.  Kids take on the expressions of their parents, their mannerisms and their moods.  They pick up on things that you sometimes don't even know your putting out there.

My kid has been paying attention to me.  More specifically she's been watching the projects I take on and she absorbs the process.  She learns without asking too many questions, creates a vision for herself and slips into that place where creativity takes over and you just do.  I made a book from beads and a few days later, she grabbed a handful of beads, her scissors, glue and foam and made her own creation.  I've made page protectors that to a little kid looks like a bag, and about a week after, she found some leftover protector sleeves, some magazines ready for cutting, her scissors, glue and set about making me a collaged bag for my birthday, which is only 2 months away.  I've witnessed these moments.  I see her sneaking off into the paint room just like I do.  And then I realize - she's been inspired...by me.  And that's pretty amazing. 

I know that most kids get into arts and crafts.  I know that most kids make 100+ little things for their parents, grandparents and other people that they love, but I wonder how many of those loved ones stop to reflect on their role as muse to the work?  Think about it for a second.  It's a pretty cool thing. 

You have an opportunity, as a parent, as a big person in a little person's life to show them what it is to shine.  To show them what it means to leave the dishes in the sink and get your hands dirty doing and playing with the things you love.  For me, obviously this is artsy crafty stuff, but it could be anything.  Passion.  Joy. Getting lost in something that makes you happy.  That's what we can teach them.  That's one of the many gifts we can give them, but in thinking about this - it's just as much a gift for me as it is for her.  Doing what I love brings me peace, gives me joy and makes me smile.  Doing what I love is better than chores (although the house is getting a little messy), but because it is something that I enjoy, it also makes me a better parent.  I'm more relaxed.  I've taken a moment to create which clears my head which allows me to be more present with her when I am with her.  She watches.  She learns without me saying a thing.  She creates. 

I hope we both can always be this inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...