Monday, February 28, 2011

Inspiration Monday

When I was a kid we'd visit my grandma during school breaks and over the summer.  My grandma had this awesome house that was sort of divided into 2 parts.  They had this GIANT living space/rec room that sort of was off of the main house...and then their was the main house that you could get to from the rec room.  The first room that you walked through from the rec room was the dining room, and from there you could either go straight into the kitchen or you could swing right at the dining room table and head into the more traditional living room that was only used during holidays when I was super little, or as the primary living space as my grandma got older.  So if you followed all of that, you might imagine that the dining room got a TON of traffic.  My grandma always had a lace tablecloth on the table, and one of my favorite things to do (even as a teenager, which seems strange now that I am writing this) was to hide under the table and "spy" on people.  We'd also play under their too, but the spying was the real fun.  We saw all sorts of exciting and exotic things - like my grandma watching Johnny Carson or The Match Game and my mom sitting on the yellow stool in the kitchen talking on the phone.  We'd listen to my uncles and mom chat as they'd sit around the kitchen table, or we'd dare to peek out from under the table into the rec room where my grandma could be found sitting at the old spool table, painting her finger nails red.  Pretty intense, right?!
a spool table, just in case you didn't know what i was talking about.
This is all a very rambly way of saying this: when I was a kid, I used to LOVE playing under the table.  So, when I saw this blog post the other day, I literally gasped with delight.
Respectfully borrowed from The Artful Blog via Ohdeedoh.
It's from The Artful Parent blog and I MUST make this for my kid.  I think it would be fun to do with a bunch of different scraps.  Our dining room table is six feet long, and if I make it for that table it's obviously not something that could stay out every day, but I think it would be fun for rainy days or super hot summer days like we have her in Atlanta.  The other thing I could do is make a smaller version of this that could live in the paint room since I have 2 four foot tables butted up together as a work space.  The second table is really used for overflow of supplies and it also houses the cat food, so the house could stay up as a more permanent fixture.  Decisions, decisions....

Time to dust off my sewing machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...