First, here's a peek at the inside pages:
My goal for the pages was simple and easy. I purchased My Mind's Eye Sweet Dreams Holiday Avenue Paper pack to use as my base. Each page is 6" x 8" and I used the same paper on the front and the back to create a really sturdy page. I used Quickutz Aquarius dies for the numbers.
I used a hole punch on a scrap piece of paper to keep the positioning of the numbers the same on each page.
Next I worked on the cover. I really liked the shape of Ali's book this year and decided to mimic it with a twist of my own. In addition to the paper pack, I also purchased some holiday themed chipboard pieces.
Let me pause here to explain something. I love the idea of chipboard. I love the depth it creates on the page and I love the versatility of chipboard - you can glue, paint, stamp, glitter, emboss and do all sorts of fun things on it and with it. I also love so many of the cute chipboard accents that are out there. But the truth is - I RARELY wind up using chipboard. When I do use it, it's usually as a template or it inspires other ideas. I have a whole drawer of chipboard pieces that I rarely use, but I can't part with, because well - if I parted with them, then what would I do with the card catalog drawer labeled "chipboard?"
Anyway - I bought some Holiday chipboard with the original intention of using it on each page. As soon as I opened the package, I realized that the pieces weren't exactly the kind of thing that I wanted on my pages. So I was stuck. I am not good at returning things, and I didn't want these to sit around the paint room forever, so I decided to incorporate them into the book. I did this by using them on the inside cover. First, I took my cover and laid the pieces out until I was happy with the placement.
Next I took them off of the cover pages, added just a bit of removable adhesive and placed them on my cover template in the same placement, so I wouldn't loose the arrangement.
From there, I glued each piece back onto the cover and covered the whole thing with a layer of gesso.
After the gesso, I was a bit unsure of where to go from there. I added a bit of white paint in some areas, and then decided to use some embossing powder to sort of fill in the areas between the chipboard. I did about 3 layers of embossing and on the final layer I sprinkled in some glitter as well as some white flocking for some texture. It's a bit hard to see the difference between the gessoed piece and the final, but here it is:
Here's the cover and pages together. I'll likely add a cover page of some sort as I start to fill in the book. With any luck, this will be done by next Christmas.